‘How come you are so thin….and maintain yourself like that?’ -is a question that all slim / well maintained people (especially girls) are asked regularly.
One question which they LOVE to ask BACK is ‘How come you are so obese’ – however that is considered impolite I guess?
Let us look at what people do:
1. Under estimate how much they eat: Just one more samosa, or just one cup of tea, just one Pepsi…..sheer underestimating the power of small numbers. One big bottle of Pepsi contains 56 spoons of sugar. Sheer poison perhaps?
2. Over estimating how much we exercise: We walk for 30 minutes and think that is a great workout. Hey that is NOT A WORKOUT AT ALL. If your Heart Rate does not go up (too technical and I will put you off, so skipping it) and stay at that level it is NOT a work out.
3. Under estimating how much we spend: Last week a person earning Rs. 45000 a month (take home) could not CLEARLY say what was happening to Rs. 20k a month!
4. Over estimating Equity returns: If we bought a share 5 years ago for Rs. 100 and that is currently at Rs. 200 we have got about 14%return – an excellent return. However after 1 more year if it is at Rs. 200, our returns have fallen to 12% – the mind does NOT adjust to this…We are happy it has ‘doubled’. Again Innumeracy – most minds cannot comprehend the power of compounding.
5. I think it takes 50 years to put a new idea into a persons mind and about 200 years to remove a bad idea. If there is vested interest in the status quo (by definition it has to be there!) double the estimates. In case of medicine you can double the numbers stated here. Doctors will keep you amused till your body cures itself.
6. People will argue till the cows come home about carbs, proteins, weight lifting, how running damages your knees, macro economics, Obama care, impact of QE, etc. BUT will do no exercise. Still beats me. Will talk about index funds vs active funds. Will talk of learning from Buffett (why even learning from Subra!!) – but will not start a sip, will refuse to use the power of compounding.
7. People will collect details of calories of all foods, make copies, tell their spouses about their new diets. Follow it for 2 days, then succumb to their friend’s offer for a chocolate. Or a soft drink. Or a meal at McDonalds. They will talk about SIP, but go and buy Punj Lloyd, Speciality Restaurant, Rane Madras, and Coromandel Fertilisers. These are brilliant bragging points – but they will have no clue why they bought these shares.
8. Having a financial adviser like Subra is no use. He says eat idli, daal chawal, exercise. Most people LOVE advise which says ‘You are not responsible for what happened sir, it is the pollution, stress, bad market conditions, rigging, government policies, ….which keeps you poor’…and sir here is the red medicine. I am sure you will love it. My fees is Rs. 35,000.’
Sorry folks, the world has a vested interest AGAINST simplicity. Lucky I was not brought up thinking that TV is a learning media. We always knew it was an entertaining tool. Somebody named it Idiot box. Ocassionally when I watch I keep wondering who is the idiot? the guy inside or the guys outside?
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.