Get the MONEY situation right. Have it checked by a professional. Get it rechecked if you want to.
- Calculate your net worth: In the Indian context I am assuming that you have repaid all your loans. So your net worth is just a list of all your assets. Ignore the one house in which you are staying.
- Estimate how much money you will need. This is just an amazing guess work, but might as well make this guesstimate. Factor everything in, from vacations, functions, festivals, home repairs, replacement cars, one house, etc. If you don’t have a good medical cover, make allowances for what it is likely to cost. Work out all expenses as a monthly rate. Add contingencies, and see whether your proposed income match it? If not, you are trying to retire too early. Now you have some work to do. Either increase your retirement income, or cut your spending, or postpone your retirement.
- Consider if there are any risks to your pension, if any.
- One large PSU is not paying the hospital bills on time – so the retired employees are not getting good service from the hospitals which are supposed to provide good medical care.
- How long will your money have to last? If you live into your 90s will your money be ENOUGH?
- Do some research on Long Term Care needs. Estimate costs, if it scares you, you are not ready for retirement – financially.
Get the Activities Right:
What are you planning to do after you retire? If you have been a workaholic you may not know what you will do once you retire. Consider doing part time work, if the full time work is boring. Consider free lancing if you have some special skills. Take up some foreign assignment – but retiring because your job is boring makes no sense. Maybe you just need a 2 week break not a 4 decade retirement!
You (and your spouse), have done all your numbers, have the numbers reviewed with your financial adviser. You know you’re going to be able to use your time sensibly, and live comfortably and the money will last till you turn 104!
- Talk to your financial advisor. Get the money in the right mutual funds, annuities, deposits, ready for when you need it.
- Prepare your body and mind for the self created slow-down!
- Share your plans with friends and family.
- Only when you are very, very, sure, resign and retire!
Would you like to retire early? What will you retire to? Comment below!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.