I have a daughter, not a son, but no the advice would not have changed much whether it was a boy or a girl…but Morgan Housel’s advice to his son (see the link below, on fool.com) is just as fine for a girl as it is for a man…but for a girl I would add the following:
- It is completely your call about what you want to do in life
- getting married, having a child, make a career or have a combination of all is perfectly possible
- if you want to make a career do not make statements like ‘I am not the primary provider’
- it is a man’s world out there, but the world has moved from the 1980s to 2020
- to have or to be is a question that you need to answer for yourself
- it is easy to be philosophical at 55, at the age of 22 you will have to handle peer pressure
- your education, company you work for, people you work with should all give you joy
- do not do ANYTHING that does not give you joy
- the ‘show off’ assets are liabilities. The real assets put cash in your hand
- financial success is largely a matter of hard work, but never argue with good luck. Always take it along.
- you will have enough money to live a decent life, but you have to enjoy something. Change your mind, it is fine.
- Do not worry you do not know what you want to do in life. At 54 I keep wondering what to do.
- Doing CA is a good idea, a whole world of opportunities opens up. For example you could be a painter / photographer
- In life you can have 3 careers of 12 years each, it is not weird. I have no clue how people do one job for 37 years
- You need not be poor to understand the value of money, but even when you splurge, you need to be in perspective
- you will have enough money not to suffer a stupid boss. A bad boss is worse than tobacco. It kills.
- the most precious assets are time and energy. Manage that well. Your money will do well even in an index fund.
- the ROI of your portfolio should tell you whether you need to take risk. Ability to take risk you already have and know..
- this are the rants of your old man, delete it, and create your own rules. Your rules are far more important
must read the following
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.