Not all human beings want to retire early. There are many who have say Rs. 20 crores, can retire at 57, but want to work till 70. Or till they drop dead. Nothing wrong. In fact I see them looking at big projects at the age of 57 – KNOWING that they do not have a succession plan in place.
Nothing wrong. Except that if you drop dead your business partner and your life partner are going to curse you for the rest of their lives. It is plain laziness, and sheer stupidity. I met a few people who had a clear agenda about what they would like to give up when they retire:
- I need not say “nice to meet you” to people whom I don’t want to meet. Simple no?
- I will eat more home made meals rather than hotel meals due to business requirements
- I will give up on tobacco completely – and alcohol almost completely
- I will start cooking every meal bottom up. No packaged stuff for me.
- I will start going to the gym and pick up my badminton (some sport) which I had given up for long
- I will spend more time with family and friends
- I will take care of my health, and spend time to understand my investments
- I will dramatically cut down on sugar
- I will talk more to my parents and spend time with my children
Many people who say they want to retire early make all these solemn promises for a virtuous tomorrow. No, they are not telling me a lie. They are perhaps (unknowingly of course) telling themselves a lie. Asking a person whether he will go for a walk/run at 5.30 am will always get a “yes” at 4pm the previous day. Ask them at 5.00am…and you might get a different answer !!
what are your reasons for
a) retiring early or
b) not retiring early
Not being judgemental, just asking…
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.