Largely there are 3 types of IFAs:
those who know that they do not know
those who know that they do not know and that the client knows that
those who know that they do not know and THINK that their client cannot make that out.
The first category make no pretext of being able to advise etc. They catch clients at the lower end of the hierarchy, fill up the forms, do all the basic work and invest in the most popular schemes.
It is the third category which tries to answer the following questions:
- do you think the Sensex will touch 28000 in 2016?
- where do you think the market will be one month from now?
- do you think gold will out perform equity?
- over 10 years will equities give a better return than debt?
- why did the market go up today?
- how often should I shuffle my portfolio?
- will large cap SURELY give lesser returns than midcap?
- Is Franklin India Bluechip better than Icici Prudential Focused Bluechip?
- Which fund will give the best returns?
- I have a surplus of Rs. 5L should I use it to repay the loan or to invest in equities?
- Will the US enter a recession?
- Will Fed increase / decrease rates now?
- Will RBI increase / decrease rates now?
- Where will crude be one year from now?
- Should I short gold and go long on crude?
- Should I take a LOAN AGAINST PROPERTY and invest that money in shares?
Well the third category of IFA tries to answer these questions. Honestly his best answer to all these questions is “I do not know”.
However he should say it politely and say that the total (relative and absolute returns) for a portfolio depends on:
- amount invested
- asset allocation
- having a calm mind in turbulent times
- having a calm mind in exuberant times
- listening to one adviser
- have reasonable expectation
- have enough liquidity in fixed return instruments to pass through turbulent times
- have enough medical insurance
- do not disturb the compounding force.
AS he is unable to do the later he tries to answer the former questions…..and cuts a sorry figure!!
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.