“Subramoney I just visited your website it has great content but it has a very low Alexa ranking..and a poor design. It also could do well with SEO..I am a….”
See the tone of this marketing offer? When I do sales training I tell people that the phone call (cold call?) is only, only, only for getting an appointment. When you offer your unsolicited advice see what you are doing…Now this guy/gal making this SEO offer:
- Does not know me, but is trying to start a conversation.
- Insults me (or my web designer?) by saying it has poor design.
- Assumes that I want more ‘hits’
- Starts as if he understands financial content, but actually may not.
- He has started off on such a negative note that I would never consider his services.
Now imagine when I get a phone from a friend saying “Subra this guy’s finances are in a mess..will you talk to him” I just get disturbed. The reasons?
- This friend/ cousin / client / student feels I should /could help a friend. Great thought but..
- I have no clue whether the guy who is in a mess needs me at all
- Many a times this person is convinced that Real estate works for him/her
- The need always has to arise from the person who is going to use the advice.
- In some such cases the ‘prospect’ is genuinely interested in some cases he says ‘I am a CA’
- Some of these D-I-Y investors sound so ‘I know everything’ that it is impossible to break into
Do not make a mistake, I am not against being a well wisher, but offering unsolicited advice is troublesome. Even for the giver. Here is a person who does not need this stuff, why am I giving it? If he wanted generic advice let him take it from my blog. If there is some specific help he could email / call / …BUT LET HIM DO IT. It is not about ego of ‘who should call first’ but simple principle of professional advice being not thrust upon an unwilling listener. How many of you would like a doctor from your neighborhood coming and lecturing you on health, nutrition,etc? at say 8am on a Sunday? I am sure that doc has your well being at heart (yes he could charge a fee if you went for specific help)..but you may NOT want this thrust upon you, right?
Earlier (even now my classmate tells me) I used to offer free advice on managing money, health, lifestyle,..to anybody who had half an ear. Hopefully I have reduced that. Blogging has helped. Those who really want help do send me a mail (and I am notorious for not attending to it, my apologies)…..
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.