If you want the world to take you seriously, you must first take yourself seriously!
This is a chance meeting with a few women who have made these following statements —
1. A young 21 year old kid : ‘Subra Sir I am a girl so it makes sense to do an MBA at a college near my house…so I choose….xyz college:
What a compromise that people make in life! You should only choose a school near your house – not your college nor your PG! If you think it is a compromise college, and have no respect for that college your body language will show that. It is almost impossible for YOU to respect that college. If you cannot respect that college, spending 2 years in that college is not just tough, but completely useless.
2. But Subra, I am not the primary provider: How does one react to such a statement when the woman wants to be taken seriously as a SALES professional? I expect a sales professional to be very hard driven – at age 28, not like a 55 year old looking forward to retirement.
3. I quit my job because it is a long travel: In metros this is an excuse that people use to sit at home. This is shocking. I do not have any issue if somebody without a qualification does this, but when a young girl does this – and confesses that this is because her father in law and husband are earning very well, then you keep wondering how would anybody take HER seriously.
4. I need to be at home at 7 pm: Great, then at the time of the appraisals do not expect to be appraised in the same standard as a guy (or a girl) who is willing to stay up all night to complete a project. If you cannot compare EFFORTS you have no right to compare the REWARDS. If you do, it will be to your own disadvantage. Choose what you want. Career or Comfort.
5. I will not travel: So many girls refuse to travel – I was stunned to find boys too refusing to travel – and that is really shocking. Travelling, that too travelling abroad has become a necessity. This means you need to adjust to time zones, food, culture, communication with people in other companies, communities, etc. When you choose NOT to travel you are restricting yourself to jobs that are in single location and thus restricting your market.
Girls, bluntly, if you do not respect your degrees, abilities, skills, and are not willing to work with the same amount of zeal that competitive boys bring to the job, the job market too will not respect you.
Take your pick. Career or Comfort?
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.